Reflection

Image

Image

This project has helped pushed me to use and experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop more than ever. I have never felt comfortable using these programs until now. But this is just the beginning of my journey through using both Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I’ve learned useful techniques such as shortcuts on the keyboard in which saves time overall. Another useful tool is creating trim marks in Illustrator. It comes in handy when wanting to cut precisely. But being precise is something that I’ve always strived for.

After putting together the mockup of the images and patterns, I noticed something neat that cannot be seen on the computer screen. When the mockup was folded and closed, the two images on each end presented a neat effect when flipping. The Japanese text on one side was at the top and the other on the bottom. So when you flip it left/right or up/down, it gives off a black and white effect. It’s pretty neat.

Some of the technical challenges during this process is the final production.  You need to prep your images in the correct angle in order to print two images back to back properly. It can get confusing if you have many tiny squares in one large square. Another technical challenge was organizing the layers in Illustrator. I tried keeping up with the organization by naming each one and grouping them in certain colors. But after while I tend to forget to organize them. It’s something that I need to work on because it will be needed when working with businesses.

I’m very happy with the final production as the colors and images represents of who I am and my style. The color palette always consists of muted and neutral type colors. My images show that I enjoy taking abstract and macro images. I wouldn’t mind creating another self-portrait but this time I would use more of the brighter colors.

Image

Image

wordpress_pattern

wordress_Self-Portrait Project

Advertisements

Droidformers

Image

 

One of the things I like to collect are figurines. The picture in the middle are android figurines. And surrounding it are mini Transformer figurines placed back to back to present a roman structure and feel. Below, is the Transformer figurine used to create the pattern.

 

 

Thundercracker

Image

 

I had two of the same figurines due to the fact that when you buy these in stores, you don’t get to choose which figurine you want. The figurines are packaged in a small box that shows what you can collect from the series. Thundercracker was one of them. And so I randomly chose two boxes and unfortunately, ended with two of the same figure.

The process was quite simple to produce the roman structure-like image. I simply placed them in front of a white wall in my room and standing on top of a white drawer. Then, I used my DSLR, took a few shots, and uploaded them to Adobe Lightroom.

 

Image

 

From there, I picked out which looked the best as far the one with less blur and decent lighting. I had adjusted the highlights and brightness to get more of a whiter background. Afterwards, I went in and cleaned up some of the white spots around the head of the figurine by using the lasso tool in Adobe Photoshop.

Next, I changed the mode Grayscale in order to unlock Duotone. In the duotone settings, I chose a blue tone because that particular tone is one of my favorite colors.

But when I had altered the color settings, the nose region was affected. There was a blue outline on the nose structure that appeared to be floating. Therefore, I removed the blue lines on both figures. Accidentally, it worked out great. It gave the image a whole new look. From there, I created several layers of the repeated pattern and flipped some of them upside down.

 

 

IMG_2040

 

And with the image below, I simply cropped a particular area to use for the final piece.

 

IMG_2041

 

Lastly, the gradient from gray to black was accidental. I continued to experiment with the tools in photoshop and came across the “Gradient Overlay” feature. The gradient helps keep the viewers eye focus on the androids.